7 tips to stay smart online and avoid cybercrime
As part of Stay Smart Online week (in early October), the ATO published some useful tips about improving online safety.
- Be careful about what information you share online. Thieves look to steal personal information with the intent to commit identity fraud.
- Strong passwords are vital. Use two-factor authentication to add an extra layer of security where possible.
- Keep software updated on all devices to protect information.
- Back up important information regularly using a storage device or online cloud service.
- Be on the lookout for suspicious emails and text messages and think twice before clicking links or opening attachments.
- Never transfer funds to an unverified bank account.
- Be wary of online scams. For example, promoters of illegal schemes promise early access to your super. Check with the ATO if you suspect a scam. If something seems too good to be true it probably is. ■
Ref: TaxWise Business November 2019